Sea Fever

Its been a lovely day today although chilly the sun has been out. Not that the snow is not beautiful but it does make getting about a tad tricky. It was also the first day back to work today for me - after a week off trying to make an impact on the stuff I am putting into storage. Its always a shock having to go back and at least I have been free to choose where I wanted to go and not be cooped up.

It has been a long day - non stop without a break. Some of the stuff I have been dealing with has been extremely complicated and there has been a need to be as precise as possible. I work as a legal secretary dealing with sensitive family matters where we are dealing with peoples lives and problems on a day to day basis. After being cooped up in an office all day I am just a little stir crazy.

My eyes are sore with all the close work and I am tired. I feel a little irritable and a need to be out and about and being at one with my environment; and for the environment to permeate me to calm me to soothe me. I need to chill; doing what I do for a living I find it hard at times to come back down to terra firma especially after a hard day at work and the amount of concentration that is required; that's why I do my crafts and lose myself in preserving, and plan and plot and dream.

Today I wish I was by the sea, to walk along the beach watch the waves and go beach combing for shells and pebbles of interest to be in the fresh air and to be free. Something so simple, but something in which I take great delight and where I am content with my own company and listening to the song and the symphony of the sea as the waves crash and then slip back out to sea.

I love the sea down in Cornwall and Devon; the colour of the water seems to be so blue and the light and reflection so different down there; the air so fresh and clean and when it blows through it gets rid of all the cobwebs.

Over the past few days I seem to have been reading a lot of poetry it seems to be resonating with me - more so than usual. Like classical music. It tends to go in phases.

I found some holiday photographs (some of which are already posted on this blog) but these were photos taken of the sea on a glorious wild day and on quieter days about three to four years ago whilst we were on holiday in Cornwall.

The following poem seems particularly apt for my mood at the moment.

SEA FEVER
by John Masefield 1878 to 1967

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely seas and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.



I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.



I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from the laughing fellow rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.









More peaceful times



One can dream - hopefully I will get back down there sometime in the future.

Comments

  1. What beautiful words, filled with longing. I hope you can get to Cornwall for a break soon, I feel the same way and can feel the tug of the West Coast pulling on me sometimes.

    Funny how you commented on my writing a book. I've been struggling with one for a loooong time and every now and then the Universe gives me a kick. Just before I got up this morning, I thought to myself that I needed a nudge (despite having had soooo many) and then I read your comment. Amazing :) Thank you. x

    Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim

    To everything there is a time and a season a rhyme and a reason. Sometimes things stand still because the time is not yet ripe for them to be presented in all their glory. Sometimes we have to grow a little more too. I believe this new phase will see you coming into your own at long last and seeing you happier than ever.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts