Home Made Chinese Five Spice Powder

I have been browsing through my old handwritten recipe book and have come across a recipe I used to make a lot of at one time. I can't remember where it comes from but needless to say I have had it for quite a few years as I have lived in my current home for 20 years.

Its very good on chicken, or wherever you would normally use five spice and this home made version of the five spice really smells lovely and is very pungent and aromatic.

I usually make a batch up and then keep it in a small jar in my cupboard.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
1 tablespoon of star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon of whole cloves
1 tablespoon of fennel seeds

Method

Grind individual spiuces separately in a coffee grinder or if you want to be more traditional a pestle and mortar. Once ground to your satisfaction combine all the spices together and store in small jars or pots.

You won't regret making this and a little goes a long way.

Comments

Popular Posts