With Some Trepidation Update

Well I faced my fears and went and took the assessment/test at the College. I did feel a little exposed and vulnerable but I am trying to take control of my fears so that they do not own me and to try and make progress on one of my weak subjects. I am also aiming to make progress as well.

Things did not start well as people sent me to the wrong room (personnel from the college) but we eventually found where we needed to be. It was a computerised exam, the mouse wasn'ttoo brilliant and the calculator kept disappearing so I sort of had to give up on one or two questions know what I need to put into a calculator but can't do it longhand very easily on paper. Anyway an hour and a half later I received my results.

On a practical level I am between level 1 and level 2. Their level 1 is equivalent to a GCSE pass. So I am not as bad as I thought I was - I have some work to do and am going to follow through with an evening class to see if I can achieve a maths qualification, which unfortunately my CV does not reflect at the moment. It would be nice to balance things out a bit. I can but try and the Tutor I saw today said it is very much down to me when I take an exam or exams and that I can work at my own pace. So I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased and it has given me a little boost to my confidence. It seems that I have learned things on a practical basis day by day, but then they say that life is a great teacher. What was also encouraging was the Tutor said the fact that my hobbies cooking cross stitch etc all use mathematics of a sort means that I have something there. I have just got to bring it out and nurture it.

Wish me luck

Comments

  1. Thank you, but I still have a lot of hard work to do. I was more than a little gob smacked as I have never been particularly good at Maths. I failed my CSE at school! But it is about facing my demons and standing up and hitting them head on, I still have a way to go but with the right help I may hopefully get there. I consider myself one of the lucky ones in any event.

    Thank you for your kind words as always

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do wish you luck, you're very brave to "take the bull by the horns" with an issue that's been niggling for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE a brave one, aren't you? I had gone back to a school of sorts to test one day (after having been away from any classroom in over 20 years) and left with a pounding headache and never returned. I give you loads of credit for doing what you're doing. I need some of your 'get-up-and-go'. Congrats and KEEP GOING! We're all cheering for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts