Scented Geranium Leaf Jelly

I have a rose scented geranium that is living quite happily in a window box in the back garden.  It even survived last year's bad weather.  Apparently the geranium comes in lots of different scents of which the lemon and the rose seem to be the best known .  Up until nowI haven't really known what to do with it.  However I have been reading some of my books that I haven't looked through for sometime and have found the following recipe.  I don't know what it is like so am only going to make the one batch to start with and if I like it then will make more next year. I am going to have a go at this recipe over the weekend when I have a little more time to play and I have time to let the jelly drip overnight through my jelly bag.

The recipe is from Gifts from Nature by Helen Sudell ISBN 1-85967-502-6


Ingredients

3 1/4lb cooking apples roughly chopped
3 pints water
juice of 2 large lemons
about 20 large scented geranium (Pelargonium) keaves plus extra to decorate
sugar (see method)

Method

Put the apples in a large pan with the water lemon juice and scented geranium leaves
stripped from their stalks.  Bring to the boil and simmer until the fruit is tender.

Strain the fruit and liquid through a jelly bag suspended over a large bowl and leave for at least 2 hours (I always let drip overnight).  Do not squeeze the bag or the juice will be cloudy.

Measure the juice and pour it into the cleaned pan add about 1lb sugar to each  1 pint of liquid. Stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar then bring to the boil. Boil for about 10 minutes or until setting point is achieved.

Pour into warm sterilised jars or glasses and place a washed scented geranium leaf on the surface of each before sealing with lids, waxed paper circles and transparent paper covers.

The rose scented geranium is meant to impart a delicious perfume to clear apple jelly.  Serve with pork, ham or duck or serve on buttered scones or with muffins.

Comments

  1. Hi Pattypan,
    I just googled for a recipe for scented geranium jelly and found your blog. I also joined so that I can follow you. I am happy to see this recipe which uses apples instead of apple juice; so many of the recipes use the juice. I can't wait to make this. Thank you for sharing the recipe.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts