Apricot and Amaretto Conserve

This recipe is taken from Sensational Preserves by Hilaire Walden ISBN 1-85029-7008-8.   And is one of the recipe books I use over and over as it has such a range of different recipes and techniques.

I love Apricot but I am also partial to Amaretto liqueur. The combination sounded delightful to me so I have had a go.

Ingredients:

675g/1 1/2lb fresh apricots
675g/ 1 1/2lb of vanilla sugar (I had plenty in the pantry that I had made as I use this in custard)
3 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur.

Method

*Halve the Apricots and remove the stones. Crack the stones with a pair of nutcrackers or a rolling pin or a hammer.  Remove the kernels and blanch them in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes.  Drain and slip off the skins.

Layer the Apricots and sugar in a non-metallic bowl and cover and leave overnight in a cool place, by which time most of the sugar will hjave dissolved.

Tip the contents of the bowl into your jam pan (I used my jam machine) add 150ml/5 fl oz water and the kernels and heat gently, stirring, until any remaining sugar has dissolved. Raise the heat and boil hard for 15 - 20 minutes stirring occasionally until slightly thickened (it can take a little longer and does vary from batch to batch).

Remove from the heat.  Skim off any scum (I always put a knob of butter into the preserve to stop any scum forming on the surface).  Then stir in the Amaretto and leave for 10 to 15 minutes.  Stir and ladly into the warm clean dry jars.  Cover and seal. Leave overnight to set.  Store in a cool dark dry place.




This made 3 jars for me and from what was left over in the pan it is very lovely.


I have recycled some coffee jars here.

I think this will be particularly nice in a sponge cake with either fresh cream or butter cream.  A sponge pudding or a home-made bread and butter pudding.  Scrummy.

Another one for the Put Down

Comments

Popular Posts