Miss Smiff's Chutney

I have been disposing of some old magazines to free up some space, but as I am an avid recipe collector I hold on to anything that I like the sound of  - in fact in the past I have been known to buy a book for just one recipe.  How decadent.  That was then and this is now - my frugal instincts have kicked into play and I squirrel away food and recipes wherever I can.  This recipe comes from a very old Good Food magazine - I liked the name that was the original attraction.  There is something satisfying about rolling "Miss Smiff" off the tongue. On inspecting the recipe further it would appear that it is very like one my Nan used to make on a regular basis and that was really good.  So a little later on I will be making this in the kitchen.  I have the apples in as per usual.  So some more goodies to go into the Putdown 2011. My squirrelling instincts are coming to the fore again!

Ingredients:
Makes approximately 5lb chutney

3lb apples peeled cored and roughly chopped
1lb onions coarsley chopped
1/2pint malt vinegar
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2lb sultanas
1 1/2lb granulated sugar


Method

Place all the ingredients except the sugar in  a large thick bottomed pan and cook together until soft

Add the sugar heat gently until it has completely dissolved then boil until the chutney reaches a thick consistency.

To test if chutney is thick enough for potting draw a wooden spoon through the mixture it should leave a large channel exposing the base of the pan.

Pour into clean warm sterilised jars and cover them immediately with vinegar proof lids.

Comments

  1. I love home-made chutney & am determined to make my own this year. Have jotted down the recipe & will add it to my recipe collection - Thank you!

    Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Kay. By the way if you are looking for a specific recipe for preserves let me know as I have quite an extensive collection and am quite happy to have a root around to see if have a specific one or one similar to what you are after.

    Hope you have had a good day.

    Pattypan

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts