Seville Orange Wine

We eat a lot of Seville Orange marmalade during they year and sometimes I don't make enough to carry us through.  It;s then that I cheat a little and use the Mamade tinned seville orange or lemon pulp to make further marmalade to carry me to the conclusion of the year. 

There are a lot of things you can do with a jar of marmalade rather than eat it on toast so it soon gets used. It can be used to make a lovely cake, used as a sauce with meat and various other combinations including as part of a mix for a homemade barbecue sauce.  Occasionally I end up with a tin of the Mamade  just slightly out of date.  Rather than waste it I have found this recipe that I hsve on the go at the moment  - to me it makes sense to use something that will otherwise be wasted.[In all fairness I tend to grab a tin of this to hold in store whenever I see it, which is not very often].  I like homemade wine having been brought up to it, probably more than I like bought wine.  Therefore intent on stocking up for my Christmas wine cellar I intend to get what I can get going as well as all the seasonal wines to make too and the house wines made from fruit juices etc.

The recipe is taken from "Making your Own Wine and Beer" by Judith Irwin ISBN 0-86283-872-X and is apparently a Sweet Aperitif style wine [I shall report on that later]. but thought I would share, just perchancse you were in a similar situation.  Its good to share.


Ingredients:
1lb 4oz tin/850g tin of Mamade brand prepared marmalade oranges
1/2 lb/225g sultanas
2oz/60g dates
2lb/900g of sugar (initial amount)
1/4 teaspoon/1g of malic acid
1/2 tsp/3g tartaric acid
1tsp/5g yeast nutrient
2tsp/10g pectic enzyme
Preferably a Tokay yeast - activated at least 12 hours before or normal wine yeast - same requirement

Wash and mince sultanas and dates
Place in a white winemaking bucket with the marmalade oranges and pour on 5 pints/2.5 litres of cooled boiled water.  Add the pectic enzyme and 2 crushed campden tablets cover and leave for 24 hours in a warm place. Dissolve the sugar in a pint of boiling water.  Allow to cool and then add to the bucket with the remainder of the ingredients and yeast and ferment for four days stirring twice daily.

Strain into a demijohn and fit an airlock. Rack off any sediment after ten days and check the specific gravity.  As soon as it is down to SG 1010, add four ounces/112 grammes of sugar dissolved in a little hot water.  Repeat this process as many times as posssible slowly raising the alchohol content to the maximum.  Rack after a further month and again at three months.  When the fermentation has ceased rack again, sweeten to taste and add a crushed campden tablet and a spoonfull of potassium sorbate to prevent re-ferementation.  Recommended to store in bulk for a year before bottling.

It is recommended that this wine is sweetened as suggested, because it is made from Seville "bitter" oranges it may be rather bitter to drink as a dry wine.

I will report back on this in a few months

Pattypan

Comments

  1. I'm all over that! I just got the little oak keg from my husband. He is so sweet. It says to use the same type of wine and that will be raspberry. Thanks for the heads up on the book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts