Bread Machine

I have the bread machines on at the moment.  I have a Panasonic which was bought from new and a Hinari large loaf maker that I rescued from a car boot for £10.  Why do I need bread machines.  Well its easier for me when I have a loaf cooking I can make dough for croissants or buns which are then cooked in the oven or make a batch of tea cakes.

I offered to make a loaf of bread for my friend and as we needed one as well I have both machines going like billy oh at the moment.  Both machines are different sized loafs with the option of making a small medium or large loaf  although both of them have different sized tins the Hinari is long and narrow the Panasonic Square and deep - on this occasion I have opted for both to do a larger loaf.  So we will see how we get on.

I pay about £1.68 for a 3lb bag of 00 Waitrose Canadian bread flour which is also good for pasta and Yorkshire Puds.  I will get approximately three loaves out of that bag using this recipe with a few other bits and bobs but I am paying about £1.60 in any event for a Warburtons sliced bread loaf.  So buying the flour and the other bits works out cheaper in the long run - you just have to plan when you are going to need a loaf putting on.

The Recipe I have used today is: (I have used the large loaf size)

Small Loaf

150ml/1/4 pint/2/3rds a cup of water
15ml/1 tablespoon dried milk powder (non fat dried milk)
15ml/1 tablespoon caster superfine sugar
2.5ml/1/2 teaspoon of salt
30ml/2 tablespoon of sunflower oil (I have substituted butter or olive oil when no sunflower in the pantry)
225g/8oz/2 cups strong white bread flour
5ml/1 teaspoon traditiional active dried yeast

Medium Loaf
275ml/9 fl oz/generous cup water
30ml/2 tablespoon dried milk powder (non fat dry milk)
20ml/1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar superfine sugar
5ml/1 teaspoon of salt
40ml/2 1/2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
350g/12 oz/3 cups strong white bread flour
7.5ml/1 1/2 teaspoon traditional active dried yeast

Large Loaf
375ml/13 fl oz/1 1/2 cups water
60ml/4 tablespoon dried milk powder non fat dried milk
45ml/3 tablespoons caster superfine sugar
7.5ml/1 1/2 teaspoon salt
60ml/4 tablespoon of sunflower oil
450g/1lb/4 cups strong white bread flour
10ml/2 teaspoon traditional active yeast.

I am using the bread machines as I say but you should follow your own manufacturers instructions for your machine.  The only thing I do is make sure that the salt is well away from the yeast and sugar when initially mixing in.

That's the recipe I have used for both machines so I will show the results or the disasters (well it has been known) later on.

Catch up soon.

Pattypan

xx

UPDATE:  Thought you might like to see the photographs.  Both bread loaves have come out well and I am very pleased with them.  Have taken the larger of the two over to my friend (who was brassic) - she hasn't had home-made bread for years and she was highly chuffed with it.  Needless to say she snaffled a piece whilst it was still warm.  There is nothing nicer than the fresh smell of bread.  Even OH came down the stairs saying that smells good.

The first three photos show the loaf made in the Panasonic which I put on the dark crust setting and there is a nice crispy crust on the top.




The next two photos show the loaf made in the Hinari



Both bread loaves side by side




Pattypan


x

Comments

  1. I love my PANASONIC bread machine, it was an unexpected gift about 12 years ago, and is still going strong. The timer facility and rapid bake facility are both great.
    But on holiday, my husband loves to make and knead it all by hand.
    Best of both worlds!
    blessings x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angela I love mine too. I am not too clever at kneading by hand because of arthritis so tend to rely on the bread machine for doing this; although from time to time I do make it by hand. Although I am in the mood for experimenting a bit at the moment. I was bought up to proper bread (my mum and Nan used to make it) but OH likes sliced bread. He is left handed and my bread knife does not suit him. He is quite happy to eat it and quite likes it if I am around to cut it though and it soon disappears then. The last loaf I only got one slice out of!

    Take care

    Pattypan
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make a lot of bread by hand when the kids were young but was given a machine as my arm muscles were not as strong nowadays. I persevered for a year or so ...and yes it was handy ...and yes it rose well etc etc ...but I didnt enjoy the sweetness of the loaf. I tried reducing the sugar but it made the bread heavey so I gave up and gave it away ...bet you could have come to my rescue LOL ...I love the smell of fresh bread and the taste of almost cold bread with butter and jam.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts