Sticky Marmalade Tea Loaf

Now that I have made my marmalade what do I use it for apart from on my toast. There are several things you can do, and I am always looking for different ways of using something that I make up and for different recipes etc.  This weekend I intend to make the recipe below as it will be using something up that I have to hand and also trying a new recipe that I haven't made befor;  and as we are rather fond of fruit tea loaves of any kind this kind of covers several issues..The recipe is taken from a magazine scrap that I had cut out unfortunately I am not sure which one.

Ingredients

6oz butter at room temperature plus extra for greasing tins etc
4 1/2 oz marmalade of your choice
6oz light muscovado sugar
3 eggs beaten
8oz self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp of mixed spice
packet of pecan halves

The recipe says to use a chunky marmalade to give extra texture (but I personally do not like chunky marmalade).  It also suggests that if you use a ginger marmalade to only use 1 tsp of ground ginger to the mix.

Before starting Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F/ Gas Mark 4

Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line with greased greaseproof paper.

Pop into a small saucepan 1 tablespoon of the marmalade.

In a separate bowl mix the remaining marmalade, buter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and the spices with an electric whisk .for approximately one minute or beaet with a wooden spoon by hand for about 2 minutes.  When the mixture slips off a spoon when gently shaken.  Stir in three quarters of the pecan nuts.

Place the mixture into the baking tin and smooth out the top with the back of a spoon.  Sporinkle with the rest of the pecans.  Bake for about one hour until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.  If the top starts to get too brown cover with greaseproof or foil, but only once it has risen and is set.  Do not open the oven door for the first 30 minutes or so.  Once cooked alllow to cool and remove the greaseproof and leave to cool on a wire rack.

Heat the pan of reserved marmalade stirring until it is smooth and no longer jelly like or set.  Brush the glaze over the loaf you can add extra nuts for decoration if you wish.

Serve in slices with some butter.

Sounds scrummy and I am looking forward to trying this.  Will post photos after have made at the weekend.

Comments

  1. Oh goodnesss this sounds good. I'd be happy tucking into it for breakfast too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts