Mushroom Nut Roast

Think it will be Gammon Pineapple and chips for tea this evening as yet again I have a lot to do as is always the case.  Last evening I had an early night I really hurt as it rained her all day yesterday and so I was in bed by 10.15 pm have kept warm and am a little easier this morning although I still hurt a bit; I really could do with a day in bed but that isn't going to happen so a couple of paracetamol will help ease the way.  

Anyway I mentioned a Nut Roast recipe that I had come across recently and which I am going to collect the ingredients together for at lunch time.  I haven't really experimented much with vegetarian food but this one made my mouth water when I came across it so I thought I would post the recipe in case you ladies and gents also wanted to share.  Thought it might make a simple pure food offering that would go well with a mixed salad.  I plan to make this tonight when I get home as I thought it would be something quick to have to eat before going out tomorrow night .

Here we go:

MUSHROOM NUT ROAST
Taken from the Ultimate Christmas Cookbook ISBN 1-897730-53-5

Preparation time:        30 minutes
Total Cooking time:    50 minutes
Serves 4 - 6

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion diced
2 cloves of garlic crushed
300g cap mushrooms finely chopped
1 1/2 cups/235g Brazil nuts
1 1/3 cup/200g raw cashews
1 cup/125g of grated cheddar
1/4 cup/25g freshly grated Parmesan
1 egg lightly beaten
2 tablespoons of chopped chives
1 cup/80g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs

Method

1.  Preheat the oven to moderate 180 degrees C/350 degrees F/Gas Mark 4.  Grease a 11 x 21 cm loaf tin and line the base with greaseproof or baking parchment.  Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion garlic and mushrooms.  Cook for about 5 minutes on a medium heat until soft.  Transfer to a large bowl and leave to cool.

2.  Place the Brazil nuts on a baking tray in an oven for 2 to 3 minutes.  Remove tray from the oven add the cashews to the Brazil nuts and return to the oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until the nuts are toasted but not burnt,  Allow to cool slightly.  Process the nuts in a food processor until finely chopped but be careful not to over process as some texture is required.

3.  Combine the nuts, mushroom mixture, cheeses, egg, chives and breadcrumbs.  Mix well and press firmly into the loaf tin bake for 45 minutes or until firm. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes then turn out.  Cut into slices  and serve warm  with a tomato, roasted pumpkin or apricot sauce (recipes to follow later on) as I now have to get ready to walk to work.

Hope everyone has a good day

Catch up later on

Pattypan

Comments

  1. Hope you are feeling better now.
    I like the sound of that recipe too - all except the garlic, and yes I KNOW I'm odd not liking Garlic!
    Don't get doing too much Trishia - think of yourself for a change.
    Rose H
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. Going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pattypan,came across you looking for recipes,did you end up making this? How did it turn out? You sound just like me, love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pattypan,was just looking for a nut roast recipe and found you! love your blog.How did your nut roast turn out?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts