Pork and Bramley Bake

I have been sorting out through some old magazine cuttings that I have kept deciding on what recipes I want to keep and those that are of no real interest to me, but also looking for insipiration for something warm for tonight's tea making use of what I have available to me without having to go and buy something.  At this time of year you need something warm and filling and tasty and by chance I have found this recipe which I am going to trial this evening.  The only thing I haven't got is some red onions but I will use white instead.  The rest of the ingredients are in the fridge, pantry or freezer. The fresh sage is in the herb border.  I am then going to serve this with either some shredded buttered cabbage or some Kale both go extremely well with pork.  I have four pork steaks which I have liberated from the freezer but you could equally use pork chops.  Cooking for me is about making use of what I have and if I haven't quite got the right ingredients ascertaining if I do have something similar and then using that.

Anyway that's enough of my burbling  this is what I am going to cook for tea tonight:

Ingredients:


450g new potatoes (you could equally use ordinary spuds just lightly boiled for about 10 minutes)
2 small red onions sliced into wedges (I have ordinary white onions or shallots that I am going to use)
4-8 whole garlic cloves unpeeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
450g approximately 3 Bramley Apples cored and cut into wedges
4 lean pork steaks
1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves or 1 tsp of dried sage

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6/Fan oven 180 degrees C/Ordinary oven 200 degrees C.  Place the potatoes, onion, garlic and oil in a large roasting tray or suitable dish.  Toss together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  Bake for 15 minutes.
  2. Remove from the oven and then stir in the apple wedges and lay the pork steaks on top season and sprinkle over with sage and then return to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the pork is golden and the apples and vegetables are tender.
  3. Serve with green vegetables .

A one pan meal that saves on the washing up and ideal for a Saturday night supper.  It will not look as colourful though without the red onions.  Never mind as long as it tastes good and fills us up.

Here are some photos of what we have had to eat.  I just served with some steamed curly Kale which cut through the richness of the meal.  Next time I might serve with some mashed potato and some gravy as well.



Might do an apple sponge with custard to go with it.

Catch up soon

Pattypan

xx

Update

I enjoyed this, it was tasty but in future I will not use new potatoes - I had them in this time and hence the reason for using them,  In future I will use potatoes trimmed as though for a roast (with the little oil and the fat from the meat they should go nice and brown).  The apples were lovely too and I may in future when doing a roast joint and requiring apple sauce roast apple slices in the oven at the same time and then put through a sieve.  It was really tasty all round meal.

You have to try something different once in a while and if you don't try you don't know.

Catch you soon

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. Sounds delicious. Could you post your recipe for the apple sponge please. Thank you, Linda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts