Tuesday Evening Round Up and Cookies

Well tea went down very nicely very tasty it was too and OH was pleased of a nice hot meal when he got into night.  Jokingly I asked whether he had been dreaming of lamb steaks/chops all day and he indicated yes he had!  He ate it all up in any event.

As I mentioned I had bought a bread mix which I hadn't tried before.   I wanted some buns for pack ups tomorrow and so I made the mix up in the bread machine on the dough setting only.  I then knocked back the dough and kneaded it and then shaped into 10 medium sized buns let it rise again and they have come up very well.  The mix cost £1.09 and all that was needed was some water but I added a little sunflower oil and a little butter.  The mix is a Wrights Mixed Grain Bread Mix.  I have ten medium sized buns for that money.  The buns were cooked on Gas mark 6 for about 10 to 12 minutes until cooked and then I turn the buns upside down on the tray and give them a further 5 minutes just to crisp up the base a little.



P.S. These buns taste fab.

Whilst I was having the oven on I decided to make some cookies to use the heat in the oven rather than waste it.  I used a recipe that I have made many times in the past but which recently had kind of dropped out of favour.  These are very easy to make and something ideal for the pack up boxes and taking advantage of the oven being on rather than waste residual heat.  If you are going to put the oven on make sure that you make several things before you actually put the oven on.

Chocolate Fork Biscuits

Ingredients:

8oz butter/margarine
4oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
8oz self raising flour
2oz drinking chocolate or cocoa
Optional: icing sugar and nuts

The beauty of these cookies is that you can freeze the dough and just bring the cookies out of the freezer without having to defrost and just pop them on a tray into the oven, so a good one to have as a standby.

Cream the butter with the sugar and the vanilla essence then work in the flour and the chocolate.  Divide the dough into walnut sized pieces and then roll them into balls.  Grease a baking sheet and then place on the baking sheet evenly spaced out.  Press a fork into the top of the cookie and decorate with icing sugar or nuts at this stage if liked.

To freeze: open freeze and then pack into a rigid container cover label and freeze.

To cook take straight from the freezer place on a greased baking sheet and bake in a moderately hot oven Gas mark 5 for 12 to 15 minutes.  Leave to firm a minute on the baking tray and then cook on a wire rack.

Supposed to make about 36 biscuits I got about 28 but I think this was down to my balls of dough being a little on the bigger side.  These cookies do spread during cooking.  They go down well with a nice mug of cold milk.

















So thats pack up sorted out for tomorrow.

Right am off to get everything sorted for work tomorrow still have a few things to do.

Catch up soon.

Pattypan

Comments

Popular Posts