Butterscotch and Date Pudding

Good morning everyone; last night I was out and about so I left other half to his own devices for something for his tea.  It wasn't as if he had not eaten as we had the Bacon and Leek Omelette  mid-day even though it was a light lunch.  But today we are having the coconut chicken with lemongrass recipe that I posted here  http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/coconut-chicken-with-lemon-grass.html.

The chicken is defrosting as we speak.

However I decided that we needed pudding to go with it.  I just fancied something naughty and I think this pudding may just fit the bill.  I am rather partial to dates and figs and the like and I like puddings I think they just finish the meal off nicely with a drop of custard.  We always had pudding when I was growing up it was a way of padding out a little bit of meat and making sure we were full.  As was the soup course, as soup always pads you out so you don't need to eat as much come main course or pudding.  I cannot quite do three courses these days so I either have a starter but not a pudding or the other way round.  So it looks as though I am going to be a little busy later on.

BUTTERSCOTCH AND DATE PUDDING

INGREDIENTS:

For the butterscotch sauce

7oz butter cut into cubes
13 oz of sugar
9oz double cream

For the sponge

5 1/2 oz caster sugar
5 1/2 oz butter at room temperature
5 1/2 oz self raising flour
1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 1/2 fl oz water
2 eggs beaten
8 to 9 medjool dates pitted and chopped  (I have used dried dates)

METHOD:

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F/Gas Mark 4,
  2. For the sponge cream the butter and sugar together until the mixture goes pale and fluffy.
  3. Sieve the flour bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and stir into the creamed butter mixture.
  4. Stir int he water,.  Add the eggs slowly being careful not to curdle the mixture.  Add the chopped dates and stir well.
  5. Spoon the mixture into a 7 inch square dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
  6. In the interim make the butterscotch sauce. Put the butter, sugar and cream in a pan.  Heat stirring frequently until the mixture thickens.  
  7. Once the pudding is cooked (test with a needle or a knife and if the needle or knife comes out clean it is cooked if not return to the oven).
  8. Pour the butterscotch sauce over the sponge and cut into even sized pieces.  Serve hot with some custard.
Hope you have a good day

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts