Crystallised Pears

I have had a rare treat in the past couple of days the December edition of  Country Living and the January edition.  Both have lovely things in.

However I have spotted this recipe for Crystallised Pears in that said publication which I had hoped to actually make for this Christmas; unfortunately now I do not think I will achieve this as I got somewhat distracted with other things and also forgot to put this post up in time  However I pop this up now in order that you can pop it in your recipe list for something different to make for the cost of some fruit some sugar and a segments of time over a ten day period when you have not so much to do.

I think from reading the article the recipe is by Alison Walker.  She has a book out called A Country Cook's Kitchen which I intend to get in due course, it is a bit pricy at £25 but it sounds like my sort of book apparently covering all aspects of the country kitchen.  And we all subscribe to that one way or another.  Apparently according to the write up she covers artisan breads, farmhouse style cheeses, preserving the harvest for year round enjoyment and "curing. smoking and salting meats".  Definitely my kind of book which I think is only available via Country Living at the moment. [Updated Amazon currently have the book on line for £16.00]

This preserve is made over a period of several days.  I have made crystallised fruit before but not pears so I am quite looking forward to trying this one out.  I intend to make some of these after Christmas and pop some up for use during the year and then next September intend to do some batches as I think they would make some very special Christmas presents together with other varieties of crystallised fruit.

Ingredients:


1kg pears peeled cored and halved
white granulated sugar

Method


First Part


1.  Put the pear halves in a large stainless steel pan add about 600ml of water and simmer for about 15 minutes until the pears just go tender.

2.  Remove the fruit with a slotted spoon and place on a wire rack to drain (so make sure there is a drip tray underneath). Keep the cooking liquid and pour into a jug.

3.  Measure the liquid and weigh out 350g sugar for every 600ml of liquid.  Place both in a pan along with any liquid from the drip tray and dissolve over a low heat then bring to a rolling boil.

4.  Put the pears in a bowl and pour the syrup over them.  Lay a cartouche of greaseproof over the top of the bowl and place a small plate or saucer on top to keep the pears submerged.  Leave for 24 hours.

Second Part


5. Remove the pears onto a wire rack set over a tray.  Measure the syrup and for every 600ml weigh out 125g of sugar.  Dissolve and boil as before.  return the pears to a bowl and pour the syrup over them.  Stand as before for 24 hours.

6.  repeat step 5 above for five more days.

7.  On the following day (i,e. the eighth day) weigh 175g of sugar for every 600ml of syrup.  Boil and stand as before but this time for two days

8.  Repeat step 7 then leave int he syrup for four days.

9.  Remove the pairs with a slotted spoon and arrange over a wire rack set over a tray.  Leave to stand in a cool but not cold place dry place for two to three days.  The fruit is ready when it stops feeling sticky.

10.  To store pack the fruit between layers of waxed paper in a box or a tin where they will keep for at least six months.

Another recipe to go into my recipe cache to sit alongside Panforte, Marrons Glace, Candied Cherries, Preserved Ginger in Syrup and home made jellies, membrillo etc.

I would dearly love a dehydrator in which to make fruit leather rolls and other wonderful goodies.  We will have to see what happens.

Catch you later

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. This sounds like a great idea! Would be good to decorate a cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline

      Would be good for a cake. I sort of got interested in candied/preserved fruit in this way because of a thick set Victorian glass dish that I located at a Charity Shop.Needles to say I bought it and I used to buy what I could but have recently got into playing and having a go with my own. I have had a go at ginger, angelica and I am going to do the pears (even though they will not be ready for this Christmas) but you can also add them to fruit cake mixes as well. We are only limited by our own imaginations when it comes to using things.

      Take care

      Pattypan

      x

      Delete
  2. That sounds lovely Tricia. The book is on Amazon from £13 hardback new! Hope Santa slips one in his sack for you :o)

    Rose H
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rose

    So do I - it looks very much as though its my kind of book.

    Take care honey

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts