The Sap is rising Spring has arrived




Can you not feel it excitement in the air as the sap rises the more I want to be out of my winter cocoon.  I hear the birdsong first thing a sure sign that  Spring has arrived.  From early on in the morning you can hear all the chattering and squabbling and the bird song.  I would hear it more in the countryside.  The more the sap rises the more I want to be out and about - I still have not managed to get out into the garden to get stuck in hopefully shortly.  And soon we change the clocks again to make the most of the daylight hours.  I think it is the 28th of this month.

I have today bought 8 Lily of the Valley plants.  Lily of the Valley is my birth month flower, but my mum recounts a story about just after I was born.  I was destined to be born at Lincoln Hospital however for one reason or another they were full.  Mum was therefore shipped to a local cottage hospital with roses around the door and with a big garden.  Mum said that one of the things she remembered most was going for a walk in the grounds and there was an absolute profusion of Lily of the Valley in bloom which smelt wonderful and she picked a bunch and brought them back to her bedside.  I think they are a wonderful flower.  I am going to pot them up into two planters to start with. My mum did this with some that she was given and they have done very well.  I love all the old fashioned flowers especially the scented ones.I am particularly fond of rambling old fashioned scented roses, honeysuckle, clematis, Lilacs.  

So that is polyanthus and Lily of the Valley plants to date.  I am after popping more flowers into the garden this year if I can.  If I get a patch of garden free I would also like to create a cutting garden if I can with Chrysanthemums, Dahlias, etc.

I have seed potatoes maincrop sorted. 

I have Maris Piper and Rooster.



I have bought some new seed today mixed packets of seed from the Pound Shop which includes, courgettes, celery, Black Cherry Tomatoes, San Marzano Tomatoes, Sweet Bell Pepper  - Yellow, Fennel, aubergines, green courgettes, Rocket, Plum Tomatoes,Sweet Peppers, Oregano. Beef Tomato Radicchio, Opal Basil, coriander,Oriental Spicy Leaf, Sweet Pepper, Chilli cayenne, Mustard Greens, Chilli Habanero, Thai Chilli, Dwarf Bean Tendergreen, Borlotti Beans, and Broad Beans.Not bad for £4. 

I am after some yellow courgettes though as they really are delicious.  I am also after some shallots if I can get hold of some and intend to start them off in individual cells and some onions. 





 Herbs I will get thyme, rosemary, basil mint and chives, oregano and marjoram from Waitrose as plants.  They are nice sturdy plants which do not cost too much and they are usually a bit bigger as well.

I am also looking for Rhubarb, Horseradish, Garlic, Strawberry plants, Raspberry canes, blueberries, Tayberries and Blackberries, Redcurrants, Whitecurrants, Blackcurrants and Gooseberries.

I also have a yen for some trees but I would like to put them in large planters so that I can take them with me should we move from here.  Is it feasible to grow apple trees in planters to start with I am looking at Apples, Cookers such as a Bramley and Eaters.  They have some in Wilkinsons at the moment from £7.  I am also interested in plums, pears, peaches, cherries and a Quince.  Would I be okay to pop them in planters to start with or would it be best to leave alone.  The trees are talking to me though?  Any advice gratefully received as every so often I come across bargains and this year I would like to be able to take advantage if I possibly can.
Pipe dreams at the moment; but at least I have made a start.  I also would like to have some tumbler tomatoes in hanging baskets as well as strawberry plants as well as my planters.  I like doing hanging flower baskets from scratch but have not done them for the front of the house since my plants bought for my birthday one year were stolen off the front.  I do like gardening I find it very soothing.

Right upwards and onwards.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

 x

Comments

  1. Yes Trishia, Spring is certainly here! I love lily of the valley too and like the idea of container planting them :o) You ask about fruit trees in containers - just make sure they're on a dwarf root stock, I bought some from Lidl a few years ago and they seem to so well except the apple never has fruit (though the cherry does very well for it's size), but I now realise that it's because they need another apple tree nearby for pollination, so this year I've invested in a crab apple on a n M27 root stock which is perfect for a container. I looked around and found the best buy was on ebay - I'll email you the details as they have a large range of fruit trees available. It arrived very well packaged and is an excellent specimen and I thought it was very reasonable too.
    Very best wishes
    Rose H
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts