Kilner Jars - Original Dual Purpose Jars and Preserving






Mum gave me a load of these that she used to use when I was a child.  At the time that she gave them to me though you could not get the seals, although I have latterly used the Liefheit seals which fit these jars beautifully.  The rings are the original ones and I have decided that I am going to have the rings refurbished so that I can reuse the jars for bottling fruit.  They are a good size.  The other reason for considering this is that on my travels I have come across some Kilner Dual purpose jars for sale and I much prefer the size of these jars for storing fruit in.  They are more family sized.  So I am hoping this Saturday coming if they are still there manage to buy the jars -  there are six of them and I think they are about 3 to 4 pint sized.  I will post this post if and when I obtain them.  Even if I do not manage to get this lot I shall keep my eyes peeled as now I know the rings can be refurbished and the Liefheit seals used to store it appeals more to my ethics of reusing where I can and recycling.

I am not only looking at the older jars, but also the new ones as well.

If any of you have any Dual Purpose Kilner jars or newer jars and you would like shot of them- you can always contact me on fluffupyourfairy@hotmail.co.uk and we can see if we can reach an agreement.

The more food preserving I do the more I want to do.

It has always been an aim of mine to have a big walk in Pantry lined to the gunnels with all different types of food like my grandmother had lined with lots of jars of ingredients.I have been collecting storage jars and containers for sometime  And now I have the dehydrator that prospect is moving ever closer.  Not the actual pantry but the method of preserving and popping food down.  I also periodically keep eyeing up traditional meat safes which would be ideal for storing home processed salamis in.  

My Nan had a load of jars but we did not use them for preserving in the summer months.  My granddad used to get them out the garage and we would play skittles with them on the lawn.  By the time I had started preserving she had moved the bottles on and there were a fair few.  Never mind will keep a look out as I certainly do like the older jars they have a distinct character.  Will have to keep my eyes peeled.

Catch you soon

Pattypan

x







Comments

Popular Posts