Mirabelle Plums - Yellow Ones

We went for a walk by the river on Friday afternoon for me to get my head around what had happened with my mother at the beginning of the day and just stroll in the sunshine after having been cooped up in Peterborough City Hospital for eight days.  I was stiff and needed some gentle exercise to free off my legs and my hips and I must say it was good to feel the warmth of the sun.  I also needed to be quiet and think and put things in perspective as I totally felt the rug had been pulled out from under my feet.

Whilst out we located some Mirabelle/Cherry Plums  - yellow ones which fortunately had not been picked.  We fell lucky this time but in the past have come away empty handed as someone has beaten us to it, but I have come away with about a kilo which I am going to bottle in a light syrup and pop up for Christmas.  Some of the plums were a little under ripe but they are ripening off so that they can be bottled and then used in puddings over the winter months.  I must say though they are delicious as they are.

I am going to see if I can propogate some of the seeds to see if I can grow my own cherry plum plants.  Well nothing ventured nothing gained.

I will probably process the plums tomorrow evening I have left them on the side a little to ripen off a little more, but keep helping myself as I go by.

Its going to be a busy week and both my brother and I have had a peaceful weekend gathering our strength to deal with what is to come.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I havent seen any wild plums around here I do have some wild plum hedging it will be a few years before it produces fruit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn

    I found a patch down by the riverbank. However the trees are old and the branches high up but it is a case of first come first served and a lot of people do not know what they are or whether they are edible. They are more than edible and I have been gathering them for years- if you look back at some of the earlier posts on the blog there are several recipes as well. I one day dream of owning like a smallholding where I can grow my own but I would like a wild hedge around the property to feed the wildlife but for harvesting for the pantry as well. I am going to have a go at growing some plants from the pip/kernel there is a tutorial here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS8jQoWSqaU
    I think they are a most useful fruit. The ones we collected on Friday are yellow but I have found the in the past bright red so they do vary quite a bit. I would certainly if I had the land you had do a wild hedge for the harvesting and also for the wildlife. I am particularly fond of cherry plum jam but this time round they are going to be bottled in a very light syrup for use over Christmas. Take care. Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear your sad news Patricia. You are in my thoughts. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased to read your post I have been enjoying greengages this week, but have yet to try mirabelle plums. Thinking about you and hoping you find the strength to deal with the weeks ahead.

    love fluffy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts