Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam

The other week I made some jam I had never made before i.e. some Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam.  I don't know why I have never had this before but I have tried some on some bread and butter tonight and  it is delightful a really truly sweet and sour jam.  My Nan always used to make strawberry and apple or strawberry and rhubarb pie and its a long time since I have had the combination together.  I had forgotten just how sublime it was.  I am therefore going to research a rhubarb and strawberry pie filling and put some up whilst I can.   As children we were never really keen on cooked rhubarb but we always liked it raw dipped in sugar.  As I am getting older though I am craving more and more tastes from my childhood like gooseberries and rhubarb.  I am coming to the conclusion that it is just an age thing or perhaps peering back on the past with my rose tinted glasses.  I am good at that.

I managed to get some more strawberries cheaply tonight and so I am hopeful that I can get some rhubarb from my veg shop and then I might make some strawberry and rhubarb cordial.  I think this will be lovely served with champagne as a kir on Christmas Day.  It would be something a little different to peach bellini or home made bucks fizz which we normally have.

I have started to think about Christmas and the preparations for. I think next year is going to be particularly busy on that front as I intend to get the winemaking going again; and hopefully I will be able to get sorted with the garden and growing veg a lot earlier than I had done. I still have more jam to do and have been using my jam pan which frees me up to do other things whilst it is cooking.  I am also going to get the Rumptopf on the go.  This really is one for the Christmas table; I normally serve the liqueur in little glasses which is very warming and serve the fruit with ice cream and a little of the liqueur as pudding and it can blow your socks off.

Right had better wend my way to Bedfordshire.

Nighty Night

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts