Kitchen Notes Tuesday 1 November 2016

Things to make:

Starting this evening I am going to make a start on the Crab Apple Jelly as for one reason or another I have still not got round to it.  I am out for a little while tomorrow night so finishing this off then after straining through a jelly bag overnight will be ideal.  I might then make some crab apple cheese with the remnants but that may be the following night depends on how quickly the jelly sets although crab apples are very high in pectin.  I have a joint of pork in the fridge that I bought on offer purportedly for pork sandwiches for pack up during the week; it may get cooked and sliced and frozen as we still have stacks of lamb left and will have a repeat performance this evening with the left overs but I suspect that there will still be plenty left and knowing OH he will more than likely ask for lamb and mint jelly sarnies.

  • Crab Apple Jelly
  • Crab Apple Cheese
I then have a batch of Bramley cooking apples to use up and am considering first preparing a batch of Apple Chutney so that it gets its six weeks maturation period.
  • Apple Chutney
  • Apple and Tomato Chutney.
I like making chutney as I can get on with other things in the kitchen  and just check and give it a stir every so often.  I will then make a batch or two of Apple Sauce and Hot Water Bottle process it so that we have plenty of Apple Sauce in stock for use in pies, sponges etc.
  • Apple Sauce
I then need to make some more Pasta Sauce and a soup base recipe that I have come across on a fellow blogger's blog  Faye of a Blessed Hearth whose colleague had given her an idea for preparing a soup base for keeping in the pantry so half the work is done which I quite like the idea of.

The recipe and Faye's blog are here:

http://theblessedhearth.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Pasta Sauce
  • Soup Base
Please pay her a visit she has some lovely ideas when it comes to cooking and being creative.

Thinking now more towards Christmas cooking we always have lots of sausage rolls that are home made and I would quite like to get a batch or two into the freezer in the next few weeks.  I do them plain, with some onion relish in, extra sage, with chutney so there are always a variety of flavours.  So that is something else for the list.  And I use the Sweet Onion Relish and also the red onion preserve with goats cheese, and pizzas etc.  So always worth putting up.  I always buy my onions by the net and then keep the net in the pantry with a sack of potatoes so that there is always plenty in. I cook with onions a lot so if I am coming to the end of a net and they are not looking too clever then I turn them into either the Relish or the red onion chutney so as to waste as little as possible.
  • Sweet Onion Relish
  • Red Onion. 
I think the majority of this will be achieved at the weekend when I can really get into a routine as I have more time available. So quite enough to be getting on with for now on the cooking front without taking anything else into account.  Right I had better get a wriggle on. 

Work is calling.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts