Kitchen Notes Tuesday 8 November 2016 What to do with Quince

I don't know whether I like quince or not so in for a penny in for a pound.   I bought the Quince from the butchers on Sunday.   Apart from making jelly and Membrillo I really did not have much of an idea as to what to really do with this despite having tried once before.  However I have found a lovely post on quinces and all things associated with Quince here http://www.simplyrecipes.com/quince/ 

On readi

ng this post I do not think the Quince I bought before were ripe.   The ones I have bought have a lovely florally smell to them so they are ripe for processing tonight.

I thought I would start with the quince jelly recipe and then have a go at some membrillo.  Might try and get a few more quince if I can.   I managed to get just over 3kg in total for £2 a kg.  I am also interested in making Cotignac which is a Quince Jam.



And for the Membrillo


Apparently you can poach and bottle them in syrup, make a liqueur from them, make ice cream and there are some more ideas here.


So ladies I am off to have a little play.  

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts