Fresh Mint, Mixed Frozen Berries, Tangerines, Mixed herbs and vinegar

I have four bunches of sweet fresh mint ready to turn into home made long-keeping Mint Sauce.  This is something that I make most years and is really simple to do.  Also very simple to reconstitute. The Recipe is here: http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/something-for-pantry-shelf-mint-sauce.html

OH uses copious amounts of mint sauce and/or jelly so this is one that is always in constant use as he uses mint sauce on everything.

I have also made some mint vinegar for adding to the mint concentrate so that you really get that impact of flavour and freshness.

The Mixed frozen berries are to turn into cordial and coulis for the pantry shelf.  I shall process them in the bottle steriliser and that way on they will keep through the winter months and I will be able to drag out ice cream sauce during the middle of winter. It is also good on cake.  I am not paying £5 a bottle no way for a bottle of home made Coulis especially when it is so easy to make at home.  You can of course, make Passion fruit coulis, Strawberry Coulis, Raspberry Coulis, Blackberry Coulis, Blackcurrant Coulis, etc. etc.

The tangerines were reduced and I fancy making some tangerine curd for a change. I managed to get four nets of oranges.  It will not make a lot but at least there will be a little. Lovely on toast and in cakes alike. Yummy.

The mixed herbs are for a batch of home made mixed herb vinegar.  I am just about to bottle up the Tarragon vinegar so the jar will become available to do this new batch of vinegar. At the moment it has the remnants of the Tarragon in it but these are strained off through a paper coffee filter or through very fine muslin and then decanted into fresh sterilised bottles.  I don't put any herb in the newly sterilised bottles at all. I always add a splash of Tarragon vinegar to home made Prawn Cocktail sauce (its my secret ingredient) and it gives a bit more of a tang.  It does not take long but makes a heck of a difference to dressings for salads and also for deglazing the pan of meat juices when making gravy.  You only need a little but it helps build up the flavours in the gravy. I think the mixed herb one would be good with a roast like Porchetta (a favourite here).  I will not of all the herbs buy Parsley from the supermarkets.  This one I buy the plants and then dry it myself.  The flavour and the quality of the dried herb is far more flavoursome this way on.

If there are any herbs left over they will get put into the freezer in ice cube trays for use during the winter months.  I also intend making some more herb butters as these are especially good with things like steak and garlic and parsley for home made garlic bread which is lush.

Right some serious work on as usual.  Better get a wriggle on.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan


x



Comments

  1. Patty
    Dying to hear if you're pleased with your embroidery machine - have you had a play with it yet
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trudie not yet. Am hoping to have a play at the weekend. I have to rearrange room where it is going and sort out whats on the table st the moment. I am desperate for a play but need to get everything sorted cabling etc. Its also my crsft and computer room. WIll pop something up as soon as have had a play. So many nice things can do xxx

      Delete
    2. Hi Trudie not yet. Am hoping to have a play at the weekend. I have to rearrange room where it is going and sort out whats on the table st the moment. I am desperate for a play but need to get everything sorted cabling etc. Its also my crsft and computer room. WIll pop something up as soon as have had a play. So many nice things can do xxx

      Delete
  2. Will look forward to seeing what you make Patty - I've been watching some programmes where they've been selling embroidery machines and can't make up my mind whether it would be something I could get into - -I love patchwork and quilting and have a large throated machine for that but I am at the moment having a go at red work embroidery and I'm really enjoying it so not sure whether an embroidery machine is for me or not so looking forward to seeing what you make and hearing all about it....Perhaps I might change my mind then and go for one 😊😊- enjoy your week off busy lady and remember that you should be having a rest too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trudie I have joined a couple of sites via Facebook some of which are closed groups. You apply to be a member and then they confirm or say no to your membership. I have joined Urban Thread Embroidery, Sweet Pea Embroidery machine designs and then there are sub groups of this one especially for beginners.

    There are then a lot of independent webistes including:
    http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/default.aspx

    https://www.swakembroidery.com/

    https://www.embroiderydesigns.com/

    There are also tutorials on You Tube.

    At the minute I am interested in using the embroidery machine and buying in patterns for it. There is a computer programme called a digitiser where you can create your own designs. I am not looking at that at the minute. The more I am looking the more I am liking what I see, but I do have to get to grips with the basics first. I am hoping to get the craft room/computer room done whilst OH is fishing and then can get myself set up properly to play. I hope this helps. Take care Trudie kind regards. Pattypanxxx


    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Patty - I'll take look xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts