Hugh Fearnely-Whittingstall and River Cottage

I have like many others followed the journey of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall on his culinary adventures back as far as a Cook on the Wild Side and his River Cottage journey.  I have watched the different series time after time and despite of investing in a lot of the books I had not quite got my act together on the DVD front. 

I have the Preserves DVD which is brilliant and have has this for sometime as well as the book by Pam Corbin.  It had always been my hope to go on one of the preserving classes down at River Cottage but sadly that has not materialised.  Why do you ask would I want to go on a course such as this, especially as I do so much preserving myself.  For the silly things really, each person approaches things very differently and sometimes you can pick up new ways of approaching and doing things that you can incorporate into your own processes and which you necessarily would not have thought of.  Its the sharing of collective information as well and different ideas for a preserve here or there.  I am always open to that as we are all continually learning day by day and besides its good to share.

In any event whilst browsing Amazon the other day I managed to source the DVDs (all new) quite cheaply in the greater scheme of things  and now have the River Cottage Seasons (i.e. Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter's on it's way) DVDs to look at during my leisure and maybe next week if I am lucky I will be able to spend a bit of browsing time on these too.





I hope to add more of the DVDs in due course.  At the moment I am particularly interested in the meat DVDs and how to process animals etc.  I am a visual learner so tend to pick up more on how to do things by watching someone how to do things.  There are some very useful tutorials on You Tube by Steve Lamb and other members of River Cottage too which I am looking forward to watching as well.  Very interested in the Hedgerow cook book and other ones too.  Will have to see how things pan out.  There is always for me a lot of research and a lot of practicing going on behind the scenes, especially with stuff I have not done before.  So it really is a strong learning curve.  I just wish I had more time to do things.  One thing is for sure that if and when I retire I will never ever be bored.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

  1. I've been a fan of his from his earliest days too, and have probably half the books he has written. A couple really don't appeal to me at all (Hugh Fearlessly Eats It All and Take Three Ingredients spring to mind). I love his programmes on tv though. I think you will enjoy your DVDs, especially on cold dark winter nights when you can sit down and watch them back to back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, BB,

    Of all the cooks, his way of cooking and doing things resonates well its the most natural way of doing things which encompasses a lot of the traditional way of doing things. Sometimes as well OH has telly on and I don't want to watch what he is interested in and visa versa so if I can watch something then on my computer it makes the pair of us happy. Funnily enough the two books you mention have not enticed me either. Mind you I was not interested in the fish one either! Hope you are okay and that Danny is soon home.

    Pattypanxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts