A little jaunt

The alarm went off at 6:00am and I just did not want to know and rolled over and went back to sleep.  It was about 8:30 am before I actually got up.  A little bit of a lay in that was sorely needed.

Another little jaunt out again today to Johnson's the Butchers at Old Hurst to have another stock up on meat; most of which will go into the freezer as it will be another couple of weeks or so before we will be able to get.  We went tot he cafĂ© and had a hot drink each (mine was an Americano coffee fresh ground and OH had a Latte) and I had a slice of Orange cake.  I have not had such nice a cake when I have been out for a drink and a slice of something for ages.  The sponge was completely full and so soft on the eating and flavoured with fresh orange juice and then buttercream.  It was delightful.  The coffee I absolutely love.  I love coffee having first been introduced to it in Belgium when I was about seven years old.  However I have had to stop drinking it on a regular basis (which is heart-breaking from my point of view) as it gives me IBS.  So once in a while is a treat and does not seem to affect me quite as much but I do not overstretch it.

On this cold and wet and damp autumn day it was nice just to get out for a little while.  It chucked it down all night and the damp is getting in my bones already.
The wind is now starting to get up a little - I hope it does not get too rough.  The cats are confined to barracks at the moment - they are not keen on the wet or the wind in any event.

Yesterday I bottled 8 large bottles of sliced beetroot and 7 of red pickled cabbage.  I also did some more Jalapeno chillies another four jars.  OH seems to like them so may well do a further batch as well.  I have festive chutney and plum chutney to do later and some Doyenne-du-Commice Pears which are just going to be prepared in halves in sugar syrup for use in puddings and in baking.  Teamed together with a pastry base and then pear and ginger jam layer and Bakewell almond filling with the pears on top should make a very tasty tart/pudding as a little treat. I shall do further batches of individual pears as I find them and I have other fruit to add to the store as we go along. We like our food here.

I still did not get to the piccalilli done so that is on agenda to do today as well then that will be Monday night's task.  Plus all the usual Sunday jobs and I am back to work tomorrow mores the pity.  I could quite used to being at home especially as I always have far too much to do anyway.  Cannot be bored drives me crazy and is just not  my style at all.

Right off back to the trenches things to do and all that.  Hope you have a nice lazy and restful afternoon wherever you may be.

Catch you later on.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. It's nice to get out and about, even if it's not that far away you're going, but I know you enjoy going to that butchers, and as always, you are looking ahead.

    You have been busy with your preserves. I could do with getting some chutneys done with Christmas in mind, so will shake a leg this week.

    I do a Manderin Orange cake (I'll put the recipe up on my blog this week). It's my own recipe and it is delicious. No butter icing with it but no reason why you shouldn't add that.) What a shame you can't have much coffee these days. I am NOT a coffee drinker at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BB

    Its a very good Farm Shop/Butchers. You would like it. They grow all the meat themselves including the game and the animals are in fields surrounding the Farm Shop even the Ostrich. It gets very dangerous when I go there. They do overprice on what I call the luxry goods although saying that I have picked up some dried Apricots for £1.99 a 500g bag. Everywhere else has been a £5 upwards. I obviously snaffled a couple of bags and when I go again I will have another look. I use the dried Apricots in the Christmas cake and also for Delia's Apricot and Garlic chutney which is delish (from her original Christmas book). I have some Tomato and Onion chutney on the go at the moment and also some forest fruits/mixed fruit jam (for Victoria sponge cakes or Swiss rolls). The Mandarin Orange cake really sounds delicious. I will look out for that. I like tea as well and predominantly drink that these days, but the coffee is definitely a treat for me. Hope you get your preserves done during the week. We are in the midst of a baking session for OH at the minute making cheese and onion and cheese and bacon pastry puffs for a buffet they are having at work tomorrow. Second batch have just gone in and I have been watching like a hawk so as they do not burn. Catch you soon. Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts