Evaoprated Milk and Vanilla Fudge

As a child growing up cream was the choice of those who had money and the rest of us had to make do with Evaporated Milk, either the Ideal version or the Carnation version (apart from when we went to my Nan's and then it was top of the milk whipped cream) but for the best part it was Evaporated Milk that went on top of our fruit and our jellies.





Times have come and gone and old products have disappeared off the shelves of the supermarkets being replaced by newer better recipes or completely disappearing full stop.  Its been a while since I had spotted any Evaporated milk on the shelf and I was specifically looking for it the other day but could only find the little tins of it (the Co-Op's own brand) so I snaffled a couple of tins of that (I may have to snaffle another tin yet) but I have been stockpiling the ingredients as I want to make a recipe that I used to make as a teenager at home under mum's supervision.

However we also used to whip into a set jelly about half a can of Evaporated milk and then set it again and you had a jelly mousse something else that was nice for tea with some fruit.

What do you want Evaporated milk for then.  Home made fudge quite simply.  Its a long time since I have made this but it used to be one of the recipes that was made on a regular basis at home.  I also thought that in the run up to Christmas it might be one that you would also like to make especially if you like fudge.

Ingredients:

1lb of granulated sugar
2oz butter
1/4 pint of Evaporated milk
1/4 pint of milk
A few drops of vanilla essence

Method:

Grease a deep sided baking tin of 8 x 6 inches.

Put the sugar, butter and milks into a 5 pint heavy based saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved and the fat melted.  Bring to the boil and boil steadily to 240 degrees F (soft ball stage [I use a sugar thermometer] stirring occasionally.  Remove the pan from the heat,  place on a cool surface, add the essence and beat until the mixture becomes thick and creamy and "grains" - i.e. until minute crystals form.  Pour immediately into the tin.  Leave until nearly cold and mark into squares with a sharp knife using a sawing motion..  When it is firm cut with a sharp knife.

Makes approximately 2 1/2lb of fudge

Enjoy,

Pattypan

x



Comments

  1. I could not live without evaporated milk. I use it in my creamed potatoes and tons of other dishes including my fudge. :) It also makes the best milk gravy and I add it to my chicken/turkey gravy as well during the holidays. We have a brand here called Pet Milk. It's my favorite. I would panic if they started removing it from my market shelves. My grandmother preferred it to cream or milk in her coffee. I've tried that but it's a tad rich for me. You better stock up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, you certainly have some different uses there for the evaporated milk. Since posting I have added a few more tins to the store. Take care. Pattypanxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts