Being Hacked

I have a Paypal account.  

Someone has tried to hack my account this account this week.

It all started with what appears to be a simple email from Paypal. 


"Dear,

We apologise for the inconvenience but we don't recognise the device for your security, we need to confirm your identity.

1.  Download the attached document and open it in a secure browser.
2.  Follow the verification process to protect your account.

If you have bought a new computer or are using one you have not previously used.  You may have changed the settings on your browser or switched to a new browser.  You may have deleted your cookies.

Your Internet Service provider may have changed settings on their system.  And remember you can always log in directly to Paypal in the profile settings areas.

Yours sincerely
Paypal"



I suspected that it was not a legitimate email.  It invited me to download a document in order to contact them.  I have chosen not to do this, preferring to go independently via the Paypal account to see if there was a problem on their message centre.  There was nothing as far as I could see. So I emailed them via their secure account.

I have had some Cyber training at work which chiefly has told us that if we receive an email and we are suspicious even though it may be purporting to come from someone we may know of or an organisation such as Paypal THEN WE ARE NOT TO OPEN IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. At work we are told to go to straight to IT but at home you are your IT Department.

If your gut instinct is telling you that something is wrong then it normally is.  Do not ever access any attachments to such emails as you will end up losing personal information in effect you are being hacked and then they may be at liberty to use your information as and when they please.

Always check the source address i.e. in the top left hand corner of your screen.  If it is a legitimate email address it will have said details at the top.  Not something else or something that could be related to something or someone personal.  This email even had a logo similar to Paypals.  So be very wary.

When I checked the address instead of Paypal details the source address  was something else completely a persons name plus extra.  (and no .co.uk or com on the end. (on the particular one I had although this may differ on other scams) DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GIVE ANY PERSONAL DETAILS ETC. VIA EMAIL.  IF NOT SURE CONTACT THE COMPANY DIRECT BY TELEPHONE A legitimate company will not do this. There are also likely to be errors in the letter itself like Dear, instead of your name and the content of the letter might be a little iffy and contradictory. Sometimes the emails seem innocuous but have a hidden sting.  I have reported this to Paypal.  They have come back to me pretty promptly with full details on security and phishing scams and ultimately have confirmed it is a virus and they will follow through with it but with instructions to delete it off my system.

I chose to keep it in my email box until I had heard what they wanted me to do.  I have subsequently emailed it to them and on receipt of their instructions I deleted it.  I have subsequently changed passwords as well on various accounts as well.

I had to look twice; so please be careful as I would hate anything harmful to happen to any of you.

IF NOT SURE KEEP SAFE DO NOT DO ANYTHING AND CERTAINLY DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENTS OR GIVE ANY PRIVILEGED INFORMATION OVER THE INTERNET TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU HAVE REPORTED IT AND RECEIVED INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE COMPANY ON THEIR OWN SECURE WEBSITE - NOT THROUGH EMAIL. BEST TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. This has happened to me so many times, on Paypal, Etsy, my bank etc, etc... At first I was worried but the scammers can be identified usually by their poor literary skills! It's good to post about it and share the warning though, thanks, PP.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim

      It is very annoying but I was concerned about my older readers (as well as younger ones) getting into a pickle with this. It is now in the hands of Paypal to follow through with and do something about. They have all the necessary details. I just hope they catch the perpetrator.

      I had not appreciated that you had suffered as a result of this spamming and hacking - not good at all.

      Just take it steady.

      Pattypan

      x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I thought it better to show the type of letter I had received as often it is that kind of information that helps the most. Cyber fraud is a growing industry unfortunately and we must all do our best to be careful. Some of them are so believable. We have been told at work to regularly update our passwords and to make sure that they are different at all times which is good practice but I tend to have a problem with remembering them but it all helps to protect.

      Take care hope you are keeping well.

      Tricia

      x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts