Mushroom Kits


I should point out that this is something we have seen and have sent for of our own volition and initiative and we have not received any enticement or renumeration for the same.  This is purely our own individual thoughts that we have chosen to share with you just in case you are considering something similar.


OH pointed out to me that he had received a meme up on Facebook for Mushroom Growing kits from a company called Merryhill Mushrooms.  So we had a look on their website  - please see link here:



The website looked interesting straight away as we are both lovers of Oyster Mushrooms and I buy them when I see them and just fry them in a little butter and then use them as a hot salad dressing with mixed lettuce and say a piece of steak.  Something very simple but oh so tasty.

Trouble is I do not see them very often Sainsbury's yes but it is not often that I can get there easily.

OH left me to it as usual to look at the website.  He thinks I have not done anything about it but in reality I have ordered three kits one yellow Oyster, one Shitake, and one ordinary mushrooms.  They also do other varieties including a pink Oyster Mushroom.  If these are okay I will send for the Pink one another time and perhaps some of the other varieties. Mushrooms are good for you in any event especially if you have autoimmune problems like myself so it will be good to see how we get on with these.

What I would say is don't go through Amazon the prices are accelerated a little I checked it out.  Go through the link above as you can buy two kits of each if you choose to at a better rate and the prices are not as dear as Amazon.  Plus at the minute they have a reduction on the normal mushroom kits £1 off  - its not a lot but it is something.  Supposedly from each variety of mushrooms you are due to receive several crops.  

Now what are you saying - too many mushrooms how will you use them?  Those that are not used freshly will be dried in the dehydrator (told you wanted to do more with this, this year). You can always string them and dry them naturally with needle and string if you do not have a dehydrator. Mushrooms are well known through several cultures to be considered medicinal and an aid to health generally.  As well as dried mushrooms being used in casseroles etc. the mushrooms can be dried in a powder and then added to soups, or to gravies to give a little more flavour.  You have to be careful as you do not need a lot as mushroom can overpower a dish and spoil it so be careful.

I will also cure them in oil for other half.

We will see how we get on with these kits and I will update this post after we get a first crop and let you know whether they are worth the money or not.  Also on my list this year is to do better with growing stuff myself - every little helps.

On a slightly different tack I would also mention that the Pound shop today also had fruit bushes, raspberries, gooseberries and blackcurrants in obviously for £1  a twig at the moment they will put on new growth in due course.  All the plants I have bough so far have survived.  They did not have rhubarb plants yet but give it chance.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan


x

Comments

  1. You will be nearly self sufficient this year. - I seem to remember many years ago my late husband growing mushrooms quite successfully. By the way how is your sewing and embroidery going and would you recommend your embroidery machine. I am thinking about dipping my toe in the water. Loved your plans for a crochet blanket, I am looking to start the Mystical Lantern blanket by Jane Crow. I got the pattern from the Knit and Stitch show at Harrogate, it looks wonderful made up. I also have some patchwork and knitting on the go, l always have so many things I want to do but not enough time to do them but I think that is typical of crafters. Kathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, because I have not been well I have not managed to actually set to and start. However I applied to belong to a group on Facebook called Beginnner's Machine Embroidery https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085969691455000/?fref=nf

      It is a closed group but it may give you some idea of what the potential is and you can ask as many questions as you like. Even people who do not have a machine tend to go on here and ask for information on who has the better machine or what it can do etc. Once I get into it I will be okay but really have not had the energy to set to and do it - hopefully next weekend will get to play. There are so many beautiful and unusual things to make and most of the beginners on this site have also been producing some spectacular work I think a lot of it is getting used to the processes to use the machine, how to use it and getting used to it. The ladies on this site will also help if there is a problem. they have been very welcoming and brilliant to me so far and I have been asking obvious questions. I hope this helps. There are also various sites that you can buy the patterns from Sweet Pea Designs, Em Library and various other ones. Do have a good look around to see what takes your fancy first. I like the look of the Mystical Lantern blanket and I can see why you are wanting to work this. So colourful. I think you are so right in that crafters never have enough time that is one of my biggest problems, but I feel I have to be doing something and that is where the crochet comes in as at least I am doing something rather than nothing. I hope the Mushroom kits work out too it would solve a problem if it did. Take care Tricia xx

      Delete
  2. Hello. I am a new reader of your blog and I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying your posts. I especially enjoy your interest in the varied methods of preserving as I think this is an important part of home management. Thanks for all the links you gave - most interested in charcuterie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Justme and I am pleased you are enjoying my "ramblings". I am very interested in food preservation on all fronts and I intend to do a lot more than I have done in the past hence me going to have a go at the Salt Beef. I also intend to have a go at Salami and maybe in the future "Black pudding" as OH is a fan of this. I come from a family where if we did not make it ourselves you just did not have so once you get into that mindset you carry on "doing". When I had the stepchildren at home as well is when I really started playing as it meant that there was always something to do a snack with or contribute to a meal. Do you do anything by way of preserving yourself as yet, are you a beginner or an old hand. Would love to know. Am glad you are enjoying as it gives me some feedback on whether or not I am getting the right material and level for the posts; just because I am passionate about things does not mean to say everyone else is. There is loads of material going back over the years. I am in the process of trying to do an Index of recipes month by month and then a general overall recipe list to make it easier for people to find the recipes. Half the battle is finding a recipe that work. Its lovely to hear from you. Make that cup of tea, make yourself comfortable. Catch you soon. Tricia xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts